You are only 4 and yet you’re already four. And some day you will no longer grow tired of me saying things like that. One day you will agree. You’ll see time as fleeting, unforgiving, relentless. And yet it’s a precious gift not to be taken lightly. For each day holds blessings given to us by our loving Heavenly Father. And the gift of time to unwrap each one given is sacred. Noteworthy. Praiseworthy.
In a few sunrises, we’ll celebrate Mother’s Day. And your dad will make a big deal about ensuring you know to treat me extra special. He will act like it’s my birthday and we’ll celebrate it with treasured family.
Dad will encourage you to wish me a Happy Mother’s Day. I’ll smile wide and say thank you. And when you give me a big squeeze, I’ll hold on a little longer so I can whisper love into your ear. I’ll soak in the moment and enjoy the time given to carry this title.
Son, it has been my greatest gift to date. One I wouldn’t trade for anything. And it’s because God gave me you that I received this astounding blessing.
You are a gift. One worth saying thanks for each day. So know when I say “Thank you” on Mother’s Day, what I’m really saying is:
- Thank you for showing me how much love I’m capable of.
- Thank you for revealing strengths I didn’t know I had.
- Thank you for causing me to deal with fears I didn’t even know existed.
- Thank you for increasing my prayer life.
- Thank you for turning my dreams into reality.
- Thank you for changing judgements to compassion.
- Thank you for humbling me. Every day.
- Thank you for letting me see the love of my life as a father.
- Thank you for encouraging me to strive harder at being my best self.
- Thank you for enabling me to see my Savior more clearly.
- Thank you for giving me sleepless nights and carefree days.
- Thank you for complimenting my cooking.
- Thank you for making me realize how much God loves me.
- Thank you for trying to be good. For being eager to learn.
- Thank you for questioning when you don’t understand.
- Thank you for tickling me in the mornings.
- Thank you for allowing me to smother you with kisses at night.
- Thank you for singing with me and for being my dance partner.
- Thank you for playing board games with me.
- Thank you for making me laugh until my sides burn.
- Thank you for showering me with joy.
- Thank you for spending your time with me.
- Thank you for giving me the title of mom.
Thank you for being you. My precious boy. My pride and joy.
And Father, I say it every day and yet I don’t say it enough. Thank You. For this time right here right now. What love. What grace. What joy! Thank You. For gifting me with Your child. For making me a mom.
How about you? What are you most thankful for as a mother? Or what are you most thankful for about your own mother? I’d love to hear.
Thanks for sharing your time with me.